Use the form above to find your loved one. You can search using the name of your loved one, or any family name for current or past services entrusted to our firm.Click here to view all obituaries
Smith’s Funeral Service (Burlington) Limited is Burlington’s oldest and leading funeral home. The family-owned and operated business has provided personalized and valued service for more than a century. The Smith family is 'Celebrating 75 years of Burlington' throughout 2013, having purchased the business from Edward Williamson in 1938.
With a dedicated staff of over 60, Smith’s helps people of all faiths and beliefs create meaningful experiences that acknowledge and celebrate the life of a person who has died. This is done in a caring, confidential yet sensitive manner that respects the dignity and worth of the deceased, honours both traditional rituals and contemporary rites and responds to individual financial circumstances or preferences.
Edward Williamson operated a cabinetmaking, carpentry and undertaking business as early as 1877. By 1900, his son Edgar W. Williamson ran the business, which served a community of about 1,300 people.
In 1938, Wilbert J. Smith purchased the business when it was located immediately south of the Coronation Hotel on Brant Street. Wilbert had served 10 years in his uncle’s funeral business in Chatham, and was assisted by his sister Jeanette, who was also a licensed funeral director. In 1942, the funeral home was moved to its present location at 485 Brant Street, following his marriage to Kathleen (Kay) Little, although Wilbert continued to operate the Smith Furniture and Electrical store at the old location until it was closed in 1956.
As the firm expanded, other members of the family joined the staff, including Wilbert’s brother Stanley D. Smith in 1948 and Wilbert’s sons, Donald S. Smith in 1966 and Douglas R. Smith in 1980. Wilbert, who served in the honourary role of chairman, died March 23, 1995 and Don became president and sole owner of the company.
On January 15, 1996, a second location was opened at 1167 Guelph Line, Burlington, one stop light north of the QEW. The new location features elements of design and décor to help reflect the multicultural, multi-faith focus of the Burlington community.
In August 2002, a second company, Smith’s Funeral Service (Grimsby) Limited, was formed when Smith’s acquired the Stonehouse-Whitcomb Funeral Home, located at 11 Mountain Street. This location has served Grimsby and the surrounding communities since 1928.
One of the major goals of the Smith organization is to perpetuate and expand the legacy of family, independent ownership in funeral service. In April 2008, we formed Smith`s Funeral Service (Stoney Creek) Limited and added the Stoney Creek Chapel to our growing list of fine facilities. This initiative brings the traditions of the Smith family run funeral homes, to the people of Stoney Creek and Hamilton.
Smith’s Funeral Homes is a member of many industry organizations, and was a founding member of the Independent Cremation Group, comprised of thirty other dedicated independent funeral owners who in 2003, came together to build Evergreen Crematorium located in Milton. This facility is currently the largest cremation provider in Ontario. Smith’s Funeral Homes is also affiliated with Canadian Cremation Services, a licensed transfer service located in Hamilton, which provides specific limited services to the public as an alternative to the traditional funeral home.
Smith’s Funeral Homes has received many awards for service and excellence, including:
We are proud to continue the tradition of caring and service excellence by successfully providing the personalized and valued service of an independent, family-owned and operated business.